08 November 2009

Carlyn Hutchins - November 2009 Newsletter

It’s amazing how quickly the year flies by… is it really November already? This is crazy – the holidays are just around the corner!


Recently, I donated my first “big-girl” guitar to the Guitars For Peace organization. It was an old Washburn acoustic/electric that I bought somewhere around 1992, and it had been collecting dust in my basement. After I read about the program, I thought “why not”? It wasn’t being used, it was taking up space, and I thought that it would mean so much to someone across the world to have it, than to me with not using it. So, off it went. While I had a brief moment of sadness in letting it go, I had, and continue to have, a bigger feeling of joy for being able to give something so meaningful to someone else. Which brings me to the subject of giving as we approach the holiday season.


On the one hand, I love getting presents, and I love giving them too. On the other hand, I have every material thing I need, and if there is something I want (within reason), I'll go out and get it, if I can. But in these hard times for so many others in true need, I’ve taken a step back to think about “giving”. I’ve decided to tell all my friends and family to not buy anything for me, if they were planning to. Instead, I will encourage them to make a donation in my name to a charity of my choice. To me, this makes the holidays less about what I receive and more about what I give, either through my own donations in the names of others or through people donating in my name. What I hope is that I get other people thinking about what they have versus what they need, and do they really need more “stuff”? Maybe it will start a true cascade of charitable donations filtering to organizations who could really use it at this time of year and beyond… ah yes, that would be ideal, wouldn’t it? I know it’s not so simple, but in economic times like this, doesn’t it make sense for people who have means to donate to charities, to provide to people who don’t?


Anyway, enough about all of that. I have other news to share, and upcoming shows to tell you about!


The biggest news I have this month is that I have just released a new 6 song live EP called “So Far From Lost”, recorded at my recent feature at the Roslindale Open Mike. I’m very excited about it, and hope you are too! In fact, I’m so excited about it that I am giving away a free album download to the first 10 people who send me an email to ask for it! Now, this link is only valid for 48 hours (don’t ask me why, it’s just how it is), so you need to act quickly if you want to take advantage of it! Don’t worry, if you aren’t one of the first 10, you can still download it for $5 (really – just $5) from my website! Or, come out to a show and get an honest-to-goodness real CD that you can hold and see the artwork and the credits and all that good stuff, and I’ll even sign it for you!


Now, for shows! Coming up in November, I have a couple of shows that I’m very excited about. On Sunday November 22nd, I will be playing a set at the edible South Shores Harvest Market, being held under a heated tent at Pilgrim Memorial Park on the waterfront in Plymouth MA. This is a very special Emerging Artist showcase, and will also feature Caleb Hawley, Amy Petty, and Sam Chase – we’re playing from 11 to 3, so stop on by!


On Saturday November 28 I am the opening act for the wonderful John Flynn at the Third Fret Coffeehouse in Marston's Mills! The show starts at 7, and tickets will go on sale soon, $15 each!


In other fun news, my song "I Don't Know Why" was added into the rotation on Women of Substance Radio! I hope you can tune in on Monday nights, 9 to 10 pm Eastern Time to catch me on "Acoustic Show 1"! Additionally, my song "Roses & Wine" was added to the Local MusiCafe playlist on MVY Radio! Cool, huh?


Recently, I revamped my website slightly, so you can now buy single track or full album downloads of "Lust Love Lost", "Session: Live", “So Far From Lost”, or random MP3s of unreleased material, including the very popular Roses & Wine ringtone! Just click the links to check it all out!


And lastly, as always, visit me on YouTube to see a few performance videos. Or, visit me on Facebook and Twitter, to keep up with me in 140 characters or less!


Big hugs and lots of love!


Carlyn

http://www.carlynhutchins.com


Buy Lust Love Lost at CD Baby, baby!


Carlyn's social networking links:

YouTube

Facebook

Twitter

MySpace



No comments: