05 November 2006

Cool review of Carlyn's CD "Lust Love Lost"

From Indie-music.com:

Artist: Carlyn Hutchins
CD: Lust Love Lost
Home: Boston, Massachusetts
Style: Folk

Quote: "Hutchins is a pure folk artist with a bit of a kick."
By Jennifer Layton

Before you go thinking this is another chick with a guitar, pop in the CD and brace yourself. “Sweet Young Thing” bursts out of the gate with rapid strumming, hot to trot. The sensual, earthy voice croons a hot, steamy song about going out on the prowl. My toes curled. My iced tea evaporated. My hair frizzed. I hope Hutchins is smart enough to start each gig with this song because I’m pretty sure no one leaves their seat after hearing it.

Hutchins is a pure folk artist with a bit of a kick. She does the social protest thing very well, as evidenced in “Urban Tragedy,” a photograph of domestic violence which includes the vivid lines “I can see you watching me, loving your authority, shut down my security.” She also has the earthy, flawless female folk voice that exudes passion and honesty. But she will not be neatly categorized with the rest of folk music. She offers a contemplative instrumental (“The Look”) as well as a surprising Latin beat experiment (“I Don’t Know Why”). She may be a folkie, but she likes to travel.

The absolute standout in this collection is “Three Doors Down.” Hutchins’ voice is at its best here. Heavenly high notes and the sweetest harmonies. It’s a sad song, but I’ll take all five-plus minutes of it because Hutchins can break the listener’s heart beautifully. You’ll feel the tears, but you’ll never want it to stop.

If your folk music collection is starting to all sound the same, definitely pick this one up.

http://www.indie-music.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=5371

No comments: