11 August 2009

Carlyn Hutchins - August 2009 Newsletter

Wow, it feels like forever since I sent out my last newsletter! I have been very busy, very busy indeed. I just moved from Boston to the South Shore of MA, into a cute little house near the ocean. Yeah, I am living a very difficult life. Which is half true, considering that I still work in Cambridge, which is at the least an hour and half drive if I leave at 5:30 am! At least I will wake up and smell the salt air, which can never be a bad thing!

Regarding music, July was pretty fun and music filled! I spent the 4th of July weekend at New Bedford Summerfest, and saw some amazing talent, both new to me and not so new to me. They also had a perfectly wonderful variety of arts and crafts vendors in addition to 6 or so stages of music, which really rounded out the festival experience. What a great atmosphere, and I’m really looking forward to going again next year!

I also went to the Falcon Ridge Folk Festival, a four day music and mud filled extravaganza! Now, while I enjoyed the music tremendously, I have to be honest and tell you that I am not the best camper in the world. I try, I really try, but when you add in torrential rain (Thursday and Friday nights) and a lot of mud (which sometimes smelled like cow-poo), I can assure you that this wannabe happy camper was not so happy. I’m not entirely sure that the motel where I ended up on Saturday night (the threat of more overnight storms was more than I could bear) made me feel better or cleaner, but that’s a different story. The bottom line is that the music this year, as always, was absolutely fantastic, and like Summerfest, I’m looking forward to next year! Maybe I’ll stay in a motel instead of camping!

Speaking of festivals, let me tell you about a couple of new ones! I will be volunteering at the 1st annual Berkshire Women’s Muse Fest, at Wahconah Park in Pittsfield MA this Saturday, August 15th! The lineup includes: Cheryl Wheeler, Suzanne Vega, SONiA of Disappear Fear, Amy Petty, Gretchen Peters, Nervous But Excited, Pamela Means, Lindsay Mac, Melissa Ferrick, and Sarah Bettens. All this for $25 if you buy tickets online, $35 at the gate on the day of the show.

Also, I am playing in the Emerging Artist Showcase at the Move the Muse Fest, another first year festival being held at Campanelli Stadium in Brockton MA! Wow, I am truly honored to have been asked to play. The featured performer lineup includes: Kathy Mattea, Jesse Colin Young Band, Eliza Gilkyson, Girlyman, The Kennedys, Vicki Genfan, David Jacobs-Strain, Trina Hamlin, Natalia Zukerman, The Paper Raincoat, and Jacob Johnson. Tickets for this festival are also $25 online, or $35 at the gate the day of the show. I hope to see you out and about!

You can also come out and here me at a few other places, with more shows to be added later. Check ‘em out!

• August 22nd, time TBA @ Move the Muse Fest, Brockton MA (Festival runs Noon to 8 pm)
• September 11th, 7:30 pm @ Oasis Coffeehouse, Waltham MA
• September 14th, 7 pm @ Roslindale Open Mike, Roslindale MA
• October 16th, 7 pm @ Java Jo’s Open Mike, Jamaica Plain MA
• October 24th, 8 pm @ The Bull Run Restaurant, Shirley MA

I’m hugely excited for all of my gigs, but especially the October 24th gig, as I’m opening for Coretta Sellars and she totally rocks. I hope that you will be able to make one or two or three of them! :-)

In other fun news, my song "I Don't Know Why" was added into the rotation on Women of Substance Radio! I hope you can tune in on Monday nights, 10 to 11 pm Eastern Time to catch me on "Acoustic Show 1"!

In even more news, you can now visit me on YouTube to see a few performance videos. Or, visit me on Facebook and Twitter, to keep up with me in 140 characters or less!

Big hugs and lots of love!

Carlyn

http://www.carlynhutchins.com

Buy Lust Love Lost at CD Baby, baby!

Carlyn's social networking links:
YouTube
Facebook
Twitter
MySpace

No comments: