29 January 2010

Got $500? How about $750!

Thanks to everyone's extremely generous contributions, we have raised $750 to be donated to Doctors Without Borders for Haiti relief efforts! I will be making that donation soon, and submitting the paperwork to my employer, who will be matching our contribution dollar for dollar.

Additionally, the very generous attendees of the January 23rd Driftwood Folk Cafe concert helped raise an additional $515, which will also be donated to Doctors Without Borders and submitted for a matching contribution! I know that overall, this doesn't seem like a lot of money, but it is going to go far. This donation could prove the difference between life and death for some Haiti earthquake victims.

I am so proud of all of you for making these donations, because it would have been so easy to walk away, to turn a blind eye to the devastation and suffering. I have been seeing Twitter and Facebook posts stating that Americans should be ashamed of themselves for donating so much time and money to the people of Haiti when Americans are equally in need. Needless to say, I do not share this sentiment. I don't know how we cannot help, and I think it speaks to our humanity to come together and answer a cry for help, even for those in foreign countries.

To everyone who helped me meet and surpass the $500 goal, I cannot thank you enough, and I certainly can't thank everyone by name because the list would be much too long. You know who you are though, and I am very grateful for your generosity. You all rock!

No comments: